First Session – 4:00 p.m.
1. The Two Hundred Thirty-sixth Annual Session of Strawberry Baptist Association was held on Monday, October 29, 2012, at Flint Hill Baptist Church.
2. Special music entitled “Your Great Name” was presented by Stephanie Johnson, member of Thaxton Baptist Church.
3. The session was called to order by Rev. David Timma, Moderator.
4. Rev. Mark Oblinger, Pastor of Flint Hill Baptist Church, gave the welcome, scripture from Psalm 143, and prayer. Mark had a special time of prayer for Rev. Bobby Harris, Associate Pastor of Mineral Springs Baptist Church. Rev. Harris is very ill and in the hospital with steroid related fungal meningitis.
5. Rev. Jimmy Dooley gave a history of Flint Hill Baptist Church.
6. Mrs. Valerie Holdren led the congregation in singing “Holy, Holy, Holy.”
7. Dr. David Henderson introduced new ministers to the association: Rev. T. Floyd “Skip” Irby, Intentional Interim of Big Island Baptist Church; Edward “Bish” Creel, Pastor of Beaverdam Baptist Church; and Tim Wilgus, Associate Pastor of Youth & Children’s Ministries of Thaxton Baptist Church.
8. Rev. Dennis Moore presented certificates from the International Mission Board to Thaxton for giving the most and to Morgans for the highest per capita giving to the 2011 Lottie Moon Christmas Offering among Strawberry Association churches. Two churches were recognized for milestone ministry anniversaries—Mount Hermon for 225 years and Trinity for 50 years.
9. Special music entitled “Lead Me to the Cross” was presented by Stephanie Johnson, member of Thaxton Baptist Church.
10. Mrs. Lois Stevens, Clerk, presented the Nominations to the Nominating Committee which were presented to the Leadership Team at the April meeting to be voted on at this meeting: Barry Tosh (Quaker Church) and Vernon DeLong (Trinity Church).
Mrs. Stevens moved the adoption of these recommendations and the motion carried.
Mentow’s youth have adopted a missions project of hosting a meal packaging event for Stop Hunter Now. To date they have raised $639.70 of the $2,500 they need. Recently, they hosted a Baked Spaghetti Dinner & Christmas Concert, raising $377. This year instead of purchasing memorial poinsettias, members of the church family made donations toward the project in memory/in honor of a loved one.
Rev. Jackie Carver announced his resignation as pastor of Palestine on December 9. Jackie’s service at Palestine began on February 1, 2000.
For the next two months, Sedalia will be collecting items for Bedford Christian Ministries.
Thaxton will host a Wild Game Dinner on Saturday, February 16, 2013, at 5 p.m. Tickets will be going on sale in January. The guest speaker will be Brad Mullinax who is a full time pastor of River Church in Madison Heights. He is a graduate of Liberty University and is married with two children. He is originally from Alabama.
Jan 11 Vernon DeLong (Trinity)
Feb 14 Todd & Dana Childers (Norwood)
Church Ministry Anniversaries
Jan 4 Mike Jones (Pastor/20 yrs/Sedalia)
Mrs. Rebekah Overstreet, WMU Director
1813 Oakwood St., Bedford 24523
Women on Mission : Radford will lead weekly devotionals at Oakwood Manor for January, February, and March. Bethlehem will host the January birthday party for residents of Bedford County Nursing Home; Mount Olivet will host it in February.
Annual Dues ($2.00 for each member of Women on Mission and leaders of age-level organizations) are due now for the 2012-2013 year. Checks should be payable to Strawberry WMU and mailed to Phyllis McDaniel, 2460 Hawkins Ridge Rd., Goode, VA 24556.
WMU Planning Meeting
Tuesday, January 15, 2013, 5:15 p.m.
(Church WMU Directors/SBA WMU Leadership Team)
SBA’s Vision Statement: Due to our common faith in Jesus Christ and His body, the Church, we Commit ourselves to Connecting with one another for Coordinating the missions and ministries of our member churches and Communicating opportunities to partner together to fulfil the Great Commission and Great Commandment.
Thought for the New Year: Christianity is not a new leaf; it is a new life.
Help us all stay informed. If you have information about what's going on at your church, please share it with us.
Items for the next newsletter submitted by Wednesday, January 23.
Occasionally the administrative assistant has to close the SBA office for errands or meetings. Before coming by to drop off or pick up items, please call 540.586.8345 to be sure the office is open.
Copyright© Strawberry Baptist Association